Contact Us Today


Speeding Tickets.

Careless and Reckless Driving.

Stop Sign and Red Light Tickets.

Driving Under the Influence.

Drivers License issues.

Out of State Speeding Tickets

If you are traveling in another state for business or for pleasure, you can still get a speeding ticket, especially as more and more states are cracking down on speeding drivers. Some people might think that if their driver’s license is from another state or that if they are driving a rental car, they can’t get a speeding ticket or that any tickets they do get don’t matter.

Unfortunately, that is not the case. Speeding tickets that you receive in almost every other state in the country are reported to your driving record in Pennsylvania if you have a Pennsylvania driver’s license, and the same if you hold another state driver’s license and get a speeding ticket in Pennsylvania.

The reason for this is that Pennsylvania is a member of the Driver License Compact, which is an agreement between 46 different states that is intended to streamline law enforcement efforts across the country. Some of the aspects of the agreement include that you only have one driver’s license, or that you have to surrender your old driver’s license if you get another one in a new state.

This also means that you have only one driving record as well under this agreement. The Compact will report any speeding tickets or other traffic tickets to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.

Minor offenses in other states, including speeding tickets, are not usually placed on your driving record directly, although they are always reported to PennDOT. And although points are not necessarily added to your record for an out of state speeding ticket, your ticket could still leave you with some major issues back home in Pennsylvania. The only time that the ticket will be added to your record is if you have a Commercial Driver’s License.

If you have a Pennsylvania driver’s license, because your ticket will be reported to PennDOT, your car insurance company may decide to increase your car insurance rates because of your out of state speeding ticket, seeing you as a bigger risk to them.

Other states in the Compact may treat things differently, however. If you got a speeding ticket in Pennsylvania but have a New Jersey driver’s license, your speeding ticket will result in two points being added to your license in New Jersey. Despite the agreement of the Driver License Compact, states may treat your Pennsylvania speeding ticket differently depending on where you live.

Whether you live in Pennsylvania and got an out of state speeding ticket, or even if you live somewhere else but got a speeding ticket in Pennsylvania, it is to your advantage to get in touch with a Pennsylvania speeding ticket lawyer. Because the rules about out of state tickets can be confusing, your lawyer will be able to help you understand what yours will mean for you in terms of penalties and repercussions. They can also help you work with your car insurance company if they try to raise your premiums because of your out of state speeding ticket.

Our attorneys have years of experience handling speeding tickets from several different states and are familiar with the laws of those states that govern out of state speeding tickets. They will help you determine the best way to proceed if you have been issued a speeding ticket in another state.

Pennsylvania has been a member of the Driver License Compact since 1995. The other states involved in the Compact include: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

The states that are not members of the Compact are: Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Tennessee, and Wisconsin.